The CBA, pursuant to the Military Judges Selection process guidelines, is entitled to nominate a civilian lawyer to the Military Judges Selection Committee. The term is for five years. The condition of appointment is that individuals nominated cannot themselves be a candidate for a judicial appointment in any court during the term of their membership on the committee, and for a period of one year following the end of the term.
- Experience evaluating the suitability of applications, particularly related to the applicant's professional competence, experience, personal characteristics, social awareness, and potential impediments to appointment;
- Have been called to the Canadian bar for a minimum of 10 years;
- A member in good standing with a Law Society in Canada;
- Courtroom experience, preferably at multiple levels of the courts;
- It will be an asset, but not a requirement, that a candidate has experience and understanding of the military and the military justice system;
- Appointees on the committee cannot themselves be a candidate for any judicial appointment during the term of their membership on the committee, and for a period of one year following the end of term.
Note: The CBA is committed that its appointments reflect the diversity of the Canadian legal profession.
If interested, please submit by 4pm, November 17, 2016 your resume and a letter confirming that you meet the required criteria and outlining why you are interested in serving on the Military Judges Selection Committee. Email to Maureen Armitage, Executive Director, at email@example.com, or deliver to 710, 777 - 8 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB T2P 3R5.