Legal Counsel, Corporate Finance
The Alberta Securities Commission (ASC) is the industry-funded regulator responsible for administering the province's securities laws. It is entrusted with fostering a fair and efficient capital market in Alberta and with protecting investors. As a member of the Canadian Securities Administrators, the ASC works to improve, coordinate and harmonize the regulation of Canada's capital markets.
The Corporate Finance division reviews and monitors issuer disclosure such as offering documents and continuous disclosure, with particular experience in respect of oil and gas disclosure; makes recommendations on applications for exemptive relief from securities laws; and plays an active role in the development of appropriate local and national rules and policies relating to issuers and insiders used in the regulation of the capital markets in Alberta and Canada.
Reporting to the Manager, Legal, Corporate Finance this position offers a great opportunity to not only broaden one’s exposure to securities and administrative law but to apply critical reasoning, influence the development of securities regulatory policy and make a positive contribution to the vibrancy and integrity of Alberta’s capital market.
Key responsibilities include:
- Reviewing applications by issuers for exemptive relief from securities law requirements; making oral and written recommendations in respect of such applications; and drafting applicable decision documents for consideration by decision makers.
- Serving on committees with colleagues from across Canada to:
- research and analyze securities law policy issues;
- reach a national consensus on novel and emerging issues, while representing and effectively advocating for the interests of Alberta’s capital markets;
- engage and consult with issuers, professional advisors and other market participants; and
- develop, draft and coordinate the adoption of harmonized securities rules and policies.
- Giving frequent oral presentations to, and drafting written memoranda for, executive management and the members of the Commission, among others.
- Reviewing prospectuses, take-over bid circulars, proxy circulars and other disclosure documents.
- Providing legal advice to ASC staff, executive management and members of the Commission in connection with prospectus offerings, takeover bids/issuer bids, proxy contests, and issuer and insider compliance with securities laws.
- Researching legal issues and applying critical thinking in developing recommendations.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A law degree and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta.
- At least six years of experience practicing business law in a midsize/large firm or in-house environment.
- Significant experience in securities law (e.g. public and private financings, M&A transactions, continuous disclosure and securities law compliance).
- Familiarity with one or more of legislative drafting, administrative law, fintech, entrepreneurial financing, investment funds, and the oil and gas industry.
- Strong written advocacy skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively with the general public, market participants and professional advisors.
- Attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent tact and diplomacy, and the ability to work productively with staff in other Canadian jurisdictions.
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team, engaging cooperatively with others in an interdisciplinary manner.
- Strong analytical decision-making and problem-solving skills.
Visit our website to submit your resume, cover letter and salary expectations by January 23, 2019. More
information about working at the ASC including our comprehensive Total Rewards package can be found
on our website at www.albertasecurities.com.
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.