Director, Environmental Law Team
Legal Counsel 5
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General, Edmonton. The Government of Alberta is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
Alberta Justice and Solicitor General's Legal Services Division provides quality legal and strategic advice to the Government of Alberta. Legal Services is proud to be a learning organization and encourages growth and professional development of all staff. Our lawyers are exposed to a wide range of legal work and have opportunities to partner with different ministries. The work we do is interesting, complex, important and ever changing.
Competencies are the foundation for our talent management programs, including hiring decisions. We encourage you to find out more about the Alberta Public Service Competency Model by following the links below:
The Legal Services Division is looking for an exceptional individual to lead a team of lawyers and associated professional staff in the delivery of legal and related strategic advice to the client Ministry, Environment and Parks.
Responsibilities of the Director include:
- Overseeing and coordinating the legal and related strategic advice and applicable legislative planning support provided by the Environmental Law team.
- Overseeing the professional development of the Environmental Law team's lawyers and support staff.
- Coordinating legal service delivery through:
- developing and maintaining a deep understanding of the client's business and legal needs
- providing guidance and oversight on complex and urgent legal matters, including those that are cross-team in nature
- identifying any emerging issues or legal service demands
- ensuring the team's legal and related strategic advice is provided from a Divisional and whole government perspective
- Providing effective leadership and management of an embedded legal office of 17 lawyers and 4 support staff, including management of human and financial resources.
- Supporting the Environment and Parks Minister, Deputy Minister, and others in meeting the Ministry's goals through the preparation of briefing notes and correspondence, resolution of issues, and risk management.
- Participating in the client's Executive Committees.
- Supporting the Justice and Solicitor General Minister, Deputy Minister, Deputy Attorney General and others in meeting the Ministry's goals through the preparation of briefing notes and correspondence and reporting on sensitive and significant files being handled by the Environmental Law team.
- Participating on Justice and Solicitor General management committees as required and contributing to the shared leadership of the Legal Services Division.
- Fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
The successful candidate will possess the following Alberta Public Service key competencies:
- Builds collaborative environments through relationship development within the client Ministry to assist it in accomplishing its business and program objectives. Positively influence people and events in a senior management capacity.
- Demonstrates agility by anticipating and readily adapting to changing priorities while handling a high-volume workload; championing change and fostering agility in others.
- Develops self and others through participation and promotion in leadership development, knowledge transfer, succession planning, and creating a safe environment where learning and experiences are shared.
- Develops networks to make positive connections within the Environmental Law team, client Ministry, Legal Services Division, and with other key stakeholders in order to understand priorities and seek input to problems.
The ideal candidate also has a strong commitment to the Vision and Values of the Alberta Public Service.
Salary: $6,421.74 - $7,340.33 bi-weekly. Closing Date: February 21, 2019. Job ID #1053414
- A LL.B Degree and membership with the Alberta Law Society.
- A minimum of 15 years of related legal experience is required.
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership or management role, corporate counsel experience or experience in environmental law is considered a strong asset.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The link below will assist you with understanding competencies: http://psc.alberta.ca/APSCompetencies
In your resume, please include dates (including months and years) associated with all education and work experience. Also, please indicate whether your work experience is casual, part-time or full-time. For example: January 15, 2006 - June 25, 2009: Assistant (PT three 8 hrs shifts/week).
This competition may be used to fill current and future permanent and temporary vacancies at the same or lower level within the Government of Alberta. Candidates with lower qualifications may be considered at a lower classification and salary. Candidates may be asked to complete a criminal records check.
What we offer:
Online applications are preferred via www.jobs.alberta.ca . Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
Note: As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name (Smith,Joe_Resume). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition.
If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Olya Fedyshena-Soltis, Justice and Solicitor General, 10365-97 Street, Edmonton, AB, T5J 3W7. Fax: (780) 644-1395.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) - http://work.alberta.ca/immigration/international-qualifications-assessment-service.html It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed. Only the most suitable candidate(s) will be selected from this competition.
If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.